and I would like to look like a tree with a lot of words instead of leaves. I haven't been very sucessful yet but every metamorphosis takes some time.
 
my favourite words

dirigible
insurmountable
abacus
disencrembulated
tightrope walker
unctuous liver
co-god
tantalize


Archives
archive


 
links:

my stories

In the Park

In the Coffee Cup

Orchard

Indole

interesting weblogs

Yet Another Graphomaniacs Compendium


Velký Zpevník

other links

K.H. Macha
MAJ


An open letter to bloggdom


the sea, the sea









babblebab
is a either a tree or a blog

A Door
here enter the real world
Meaning and other marginalia
 

 
This is an extract from High Fidelity by Nick Hornby - a book that preceded Gayle's My Legendary Girlfriend and is better.


Rob ends up in Marie’s flat after a gig (She’s an American):
When I said before that I hope it wasn’t the end of the evening, I was, you know… talking about breakfast and stuff. I wasn’t talking about another whiskey and another then minutes of shooting the shit. I’d like it if you could stay the night“
“Oh,“ I say lamely, “Oh. Right.“
“Jesus, so much for delicacy. Next time I ask a guy to stay the night when I’m here, I’ll do it the American way. I thought you English were supposed to be the masters of understatement, and beating around the bush, and all that jazz.“
“We use it, but we don‘t understand it when other people use it.”


Yes, exactly.
It occurred to me that the safest way to talk to the British is using Monty Pythons’ or Spike Milligan’s humour. Then at least the misunderstandings are meant to be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


Sunday, April 21, 2002 9:09 AM

 
Powered by Blogger